Saturday, November 7, 2015

We're still here...


In a sad effort to excuse my tardiness, I will simply say we've been rather busy recently. The original title to this post was to be; "Rounding out the B's". This is because during September and October Jeni and I had the privilege of not only revisiting our beloved Burgundy, but also Barcelona and Bologna. It truly is a sorry state of affairs when I have to rummage through my old calendars to try and piece together the last few months, but this is what I shall try to do.

It all goes back to the time around my birthday in August. Just before my b-day, I was down in Culles les Roches putting the finishing touches on Tom and Oivi's garden project. There's still a bit of work to be done. I think they're quite pleased, and when Jeni and I returned most recently in mid-October, I was able to install the last of the outdoor lighting.
If stacked stone walls and beautiful landscapes aren't your thing then Burgundy may not be for you.
My birthday came and went, then I popped up to a frisbee tournament in northeastern Belgium before Jeni and I made for the picturesque seaside city of Barcelona, Spain. During this time I was able to locate a new job (yes dear reader, it chagrins me to tell you that your humble cub-blogger is no longer an international man of leisure). More on that in a moment…let me briefly tell you about Barcelona. We had no real idea what to expect except to accept what the city presented us. Barca is a gritty city cupped by mountains along the Mediterranean coast. It is, of course, home to her favorite son, Antoni Gaudi's, psychedelic treasures as well as a myriad of other gems like the Torre Agbar which our hotel room gave a commanding view of. Park Güell and La Sagrada Famillia aside, Barcelona is brimming with amazing sites that span the centuries. The food there is rather impressive as well. Jeni and I found an out of the way vegetarian restaurant that makes killer Gin and Tonics as well as an Ethiopian place that serves you meal without the requisite cutlery. I could probably go on for pages, but I digress.
The buildings of Park Güell look as if they've been frosted by a mad confectioner!

Dining al fresco in one of Barca's many beautiful plaza.
It was so nice to be in the warm sun, it was already turning gray and cloudy back in Luxumbourg.
Our view of the Torre Agbar...
…and a few interesting features that just pop up behind every corner in Barcelona!
Woohoo! 
Between our visit to Barca and our trip to Italy I began to teach (or as I like to put it 'coach') English as a freelance instructor. This proved to be more than a slight challenge as I had to prepare lessons and basically learn on the job. I had some support from my fellow instructors, but in general I was learning on the fly. Any spare time I've had recently has been used outside of the classroom trying to fill the hours inside of it! I'm happy to report that I was able to secure my work authorization, and for a small fee the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration is also pleased…if not €80 richer ;p

Now on to Italy. In the heart of the Emilia Romagna region lies Italy's 'Red City' of Bologna. This region is world famous for its cuisine, its famous hams, its flavorful balsamic vinegars and of course the home of stuffed pasta, Torteloni! Better know in the rest of the world as tortellini, the proud and distinguished residences of Bologna will educate you on the subtle differences among torteloni, tortellini and even tortellacci. To me its a matter of scale, but to the locals it's a whole system that one must be born into to fully understand. Fortunately for us, Jeni and I had an Ace up our sleeve in the form of our dear friend Michele. Michele hails from Bologna, and lucky for us his Aunt and Mother still live within 30 minute of the city center. 
Jeni taking the afternoon aperitif very seriously at our lovely accommodations in the mountains above Bologna.
In fact we stayed with his Aunt Gisela for a long weekend of food friends and fun….not to mention Nocino. I'll let you search Nocino on your own, but suffice it to say, this is one of Italy's best kept secrets!  
As are Bologna's canals...
It's the brickwork and unique architecture that give her the crimson nick-name

The lads (Thierry, Michele and moi)...

..and the lasses (Tam and Jeni) on the town in Bologna
Emilia Ronagna is truly a gourmand's paradise, and it happened that we were there the weekend that the great Houses of Modena were open to the public for tastings and tours. What a treat! I have to tell you that I would NEVER have thought to but vinegar on ice cream, but man-oh-man a 25 year old vinegar aged in Cherry casks makes a wonderful topping. Who knew!?! Food is truly a way of life in this region, and I cannot wait to get back there and stuff myself again!
Literally the Queen of England buys her vinegar here!



And of course our lovely hosts, Ivana and Gisela!



I must leave you here…for now, dear reader. Don't worry, I'll be back with more anecdotes and mishaps. I shall end with another mia culpa and try to be better about posting in the future. I'm finally getting the hang of things in my new position, so the dust should be settling soon. Stay tuned because the holiday season is right around the corner, and with it there's sure to be more to share.
And finally a parting shot of the golden vineyards of Burgundy in autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment