Saturday, July 13, 2013

Joyeux Jour de la Bastille!

I realize that we do not live in France, but our neighbor to the west is celebrating her independence on the 14th of July. In honor of this occasion, I have created a cocktail. Well, any excuse to try something new and intoxicating :) 

Full disclosure - I did not invent this cocktail. In fact I simply 'modified' the Lilac French 75 from Love and Lemons blog-site. The funny thing about blogs is that approximately 90% of the comments are made by fellow bloggers. We've created a false economy. The only people who read and re-post blogs are people with blogs themselves...I believe we are following the Alpaca Ranchers model. (I know that was a looong way to go for a very, very inside joke. Sorry.)

So, it's the middle of July here in Northern Europe. The lavender are in full bloom, and I just had to pinch a few flowers from the garden in front of our apartment. What to do with with these little beauties? Ah! Infused them into a simple syrup and make a French 75. This drink was invented by a Dough-boy after World War I and is named (appropriately) after a famous French artillery cannon. I can attest that this has quite the 'kick'. Consider this your word of warning ;-0
I took my flowers from the center...the neighborhood dogs sure do like that boxwood :(
To make the lavender infused simple syrup just combine equal parts granular sugar and water then heat over medium burner along with 5-6 lavender flowers until the sugar is dissolve. Remove the flowers and Viola! To make this refreshing summertime beverage all you have to do is mix all the ingredients together. 

Add 1 oz Lavender syrup to 2 oz gin plus one squeeze of lemon and SHAKE.
TOP with 4 oz sparkling wine
I used the local Luxembourg Cremant...
...and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I got the (very inside) joke! :) And I'm also the only non-blogger that actually reads blogs on a regular basis. That drink looks lovely! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete