Friday, June 21, 2013

The Bits and Bobs Blog



Life has a way of sneaking up on you while you're not paying attention. Some weeks just pass by like I'm treading water, and other fly by because they are chock full-o-activities. Since I really don't have any direct purpose here, I thought I'd just dump a load of random thoughts on the blog today.
Such as...the Ville de Luxembourg keeps bees!
First, what's up with the Amy Peohler category on my Google News home page? I know she's super talented, probably the most cerebral person on prime-time TV and cute as a button, but I can't for the life of me figure out why she's been a sub-heading for two months now? I assume this is the same for you folks back state-side. Unless someone broke into our apartment and tinkered with my settings, I am baffled.


This weekend (June 22 & 23) marks the Luxembourg's official National Day. Big celebrations are planned to celebrate the Grand Dukes birthday as well as the Ville's 1,050th year in existence. Apparently it is a huge street party all day long on Saturday with Sunday serving as a day of reflection (aka sobering up). I'll try to get some pics, but the real revelry doesn't begin until midnight Saturday...stay tuned. 
from the Wort online

Ah, Christian, my wonderful Luxembourg friend...and my personal translator, language coach (although sometimes I just want to wring his neck...in a nice way, of course) and ambassador to all things Luxembourg. I finally have some photos for you. Christian was born a Frenchman, but renounced his French citizenship for that of Luxembourg. He must really like Luxembourg because this is apparently a rather serious thing to do - according to many other French people I know. Anyway, he recently he took me over to Belgium to a nice restaurant that used to be a priory for the local monks. Afterwards we popped over to the Orval Monastery, and I was able to get him to smile for the camera (yet another thing many French find challenging).
Here I am in the lobby of Le Prieuré de Conques
...and here's Paloma & Christian at the Orval Monastery with a big smile!

Christian also recently purchased a new apartment with about a 1/4 acre lot. Having never kept a garden nor mown a lawn, life in the suburbs is about to get interesting for poor Christian...or should I say poor suburbs :) I just couldn't resist the opportunity to snap this shot on the maiden voyage of the Tondeuse Verte.

If you haven't heard the latest Daft Punk single, you must be living in a cave. It is rather fun, and without it I would not have heard this next gem. What I enjoy about the radio here is that many of the stations are run like college radio. That is to say, they play many of the hits, but every once in a while the DJs are allowed to deviate from the 12 records in their box. Please enjoy...keep an eye on the male violinists eyes ;-)


And finally, here are some uncategorized photos that I think are quite fun. 
Toby sitting patiently at a French Bistro...I know, he amazes me sometimes, too!
 When my folks were here I ordered the 'Melon Salad with Porto' one afternoon, and this is what I was served!
Yeah, an entire Cantaloupe filled with Port wine? Rather tasty but absolutely confusing...and huge!
Jojo spotting a cat on the neighbor's balcony...
...and write your own caption here; _________________________________________.

No comments:

Post a Comment