Friday, May 10, 2013

Spring found us!!

Tulips in our local park - Parc Tony Neuman

At long last, spring finally decided to arrive here in the Grand Duchy! I do realize this has been a strange, outlier of a year so far, but I am grateful nonetheless. I mean it was snowing just the other day...in CENTRAL SPAIN! 

I know I tend to complain (a lot?) about about weather, but boy-o-boy when the weather is bight and sunny, there may not be a prettier place in Europe. I will keep this in mind the next time I'm tempted to comment on the cold, cold gray skies. Sorry - just crept back into that dark place for a moment ;-)

With the advent of springlike weather, our local market is now in full swing. I popped down this past weekend to see what looked good...and, of course, most everything looks good. There's more to come at future markets since we've had such a late spring all across Europe, but already the produce has me longing for summer's bounty.


 I first went down to Place Guillaume II (the usual site of the market) to see what I could procure, but apparently things were moved around as this is a largely religious time of year. Luxembourg hosts the annual Octave at end of the Easter Season. The Octave is a tradition celebrating the Virgin Mary dating back to the 17th Century. The two week long pilgrimage ends with a carnival at the Ville's main square. Therefore our market was moved over to the Gelle Fra at Constitution square. Maybe not the most practical site in town, but certainly a beautiful one!

The spring carnival at Place Guillaume II

Market square was full of flowers, annual plants, fresh vegetables and of course local cheeses and cured meats. It can almost be overwhelming. One of my favorite parts about shopping at the Luxembourg market is, after the initial "Moien", when the vendor closes his eyes half way, cocks his head to the side trying to decide weather to launch into Luxembourgish, French or German. All right that's a slight exaggeration...it not really a verbal OK Corral around here, but due to my nondescript blend of western & northern European roots I tend to confuse a lot of people. When I shrug my shoulders and hold my hands out perpendicular to the ground (the universal sign for 'I-dunno?'), my true nature is revealed. This leads to much good-hearted confusion.  At least on my end of the negotiation! I find pointing and grunting works wonders!
Just look at these! The colors are absolutely stunning.

Also, I found this little cutie at the market as well. I mean how perfect is that? I found a single serving Cauliflower! That never happens at the supermarket. That said I do miss Jeni, tons! I know she's ready to get back for some much deserved Rest & Relaxation, and I am really ready to start cooking for two again!
...and speaking of Jeni, here she is at 'Ice Station Zebra.'
...and finally the obligatory shot of our cliff. Note the 'wild' lilacs cascading down the face of the rocks :)

1 comment:

  1. The tulips in the park are beautiful...and that cute little cauliflower! connie

    ReplyDelete